Privacy settings

Alcohol, Entertainment & Late Night Refreshment

Alcohol, Entertainment & Late Night Refreshment

The Licensing Act 2003 requires anyone selling or supplying alcohol, or providing regulated entertainment or late night refreshment to hold a premises licence or club premises certificate. Since 2005, there have been several changes made to the Act, such as the Live Music Act 2012 and The Deregulation Act 2015.

The Alcohol Licensing and the Entertainment Licensing sections of the GOV.UK website provide further information on whether a licence is required.

Any premises selling or supplying alcohol requires a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) unless it is a 'qualifying club' with a Club Premises Certificate. The DPS must hold a Personal Licence and is named on the Premises Licence to authorise any sale of alcohol.

Where licensable activities are taking place for a short period, it may be possible to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). There is no requirement for a DPS when applying for a TEN.

Any person who provides security such as a Door Supervisor must be licensed by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).


Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

Review your privacy settings