Privacy settings

Club Premises Certificates

A Club Premises Certificate under the Licensing Act 2003 is required for any premises occupied by, and habitually used for the purposes of a club, where any of the following take place:

  • sale of alcohol by retail
  • regulated entertainment
  • the provision of hot food or hot drink between 23:00 and 05:00 on any day (late night refreshment)

Regulated entertainment is defined as:

  • a performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • facilities for making music
  • facilities for dancing
  • anything similar to music or dancing

If a club is not a qualifying club under the 2003 Act and undertakes "licensable activities" (defined in part 3 of the 2003 Act), an application for a New Premises Licence will be required.

A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is not required for a Club Premises Certificate. 


Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

Review your privacy settings