Pavement Licences

If you wish to place furniture on the highway (this includes any street or pedestrianised area), you will require permission from the City Council.

The Business and Planning Act 2020 received Royal Assent on 22 July 2020. This introduced a new, temporary application process for obtaining ‘pavement licences’ to permit furniture to be placed on the highway. The new process aims to support businesses such as cafes, restaurants and bars in operating safely whilst social distancing, and provide much needed income for the hospitality industry.

This legislation is in effect until 30 September 2021, after which time the City Council will revert to its previous application process for licences granted under section 115E of the Highways Act 1980.

Please note that a ‘pavement licence’ cannot be used alone to grant permission for an outdoor bar servery or similar for the sale of alcoholic drinks. This would require an application for a Premises Licence, or an application to vary an existing Premises Licence.

The City Council is required by law to publish details of pending applications for Pavement Licences. Details of pending applications can be found here.