Privacy settings

New Premises Licence

A premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 is required for any premises where any of the following take place:

  • sale of alcohol by retail
  • regulated entertainment
  • the provision of hot food or hot drink between 23:00 and 05:00 on any day (late night refreshment)

Regulated entertainment is defined as:

  • a performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • anything similar to live music, recorded music or a perfomance of dance

All premises* that require a premises licence for the sale of alcohol must name an individual to be specified as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). This person must hold a Personal Licence to authorise the sale of alcohol. The DPS should be the person who has been given day to day responsibility for running the premises by the Premises Licence Holder.

*The only exception is for a community premises who may make an application to remove the mandatory conditions (Sections 19(2) and 19(3) of the Act) to allow the management committee (who must be the Premises Licence Holder) to be responsible for the supervision and authorisation of all alcohol sales.

Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

As is common practice with many websites this site uses cookies, which are small files that are downloaded to your computer, used to improve your visit to this website.

It is recommended that you leave on all cookies if you want to enjoy this website.

Review your privacy settings