Licence for boarding of dogs/cats

Kennels, Catteries, Home boarding of dogs, Day care for dogs

  • The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 (the Regulations)

    A licence is required for any premises where a person charges for providing temporary accommodation to other people's cats or dogs. Businesses that arrange for the provision of animal boarding, even if they do not board animals themselves, also require a licence, e.g. franchise holders. There are four categories of licence for animal boarding:

    1. Boarding Kennels - commercial premises boarding dogs overnight in specific units designed for such purpose.
    2. Catteries - commercial premises boarding cats overnight in specific units designed for such purpose.
    3. Dog Day Care Centres - commercial premises where dogs are looked after whilst owners are at work etc. and are not boarded overnight.
    4. Home Boarding (Dogs) - Where dogs are kept in the domestic home of an individual(s) who charge for the service. This will include day care for dogs in a domestic home environment.

    Third parties who arrange for any of the above activities for a fee or commission will also require a licence. They will need to contact us so that their licence fees and inspection regime can be worked out.

    Planning Permission may be required for any of the above activities, even a home boarder if they wish to be licensed to board more than 4 dogs at a time. Please consult the Planning Department for further information.

    A Boarding licence is not required for the boarding of other types of animal.

    Each premises will be risk rated at inspection and will be given a star rating from 1 to 5, which will also determine whether the premises is granted a licence for 1, 2 or 3 years. An explanation of the star rating procedure can be viewed by clicking on the document at the side of this page.

  • Applying

    Complete the online form (see link at the side of the page - you can register with our website or use the "Guest" button, which does not require you to sign in).

    Please indicate which of the above four categories you are applying for when you complete the form. You may apply for more than one animal boarding category at no extra charge (the highest of the 2 fees applies). However, if you apply for a licence for two activities, one of which is not listed on this page, you will need to complete an application form and pay a full fee for both, for example, if you wish to apply for a licence to board dogs at home and to breed dogs.

    Please note that an application for a licence renewal must be received more than 10 weeks before the current licence expires. Failure to do so may result in the licence not being renewed in time and, thus a period where the business can not operate.

    Please contact us on 01962 848097 (or email ) if you have any queries.

  • Conditions

    The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force on 1st October 2018, although current licences issued under previous legislation will remain in place until their expiry date.  There is detailed guidance at this link and it is important that you read this before applying. Please read the guidance for the appropriate activity but also the procedural guidance.

  • Fees

    The fees for Animal Licensing for 2018/19 (as revised in accordance with the Regulations) are:

    • Boarding Kennels - £250
    • Catteries - £250
    • Commercial Dog Day Care Centres - £250
    • Home Boarding, including day care at home - £208
    • Third party arrangers should contact us so that their licence fee can be assessed.

    Note that the fees for a business that includes more than one of the above categories will be £250.

    Note that, should the licensee apply for a reinspection, this must be done in writing at any time, setting out the work that has been completed and the reasons for the reinspection. The full fee is payable for a reinspection.

    Methods of Payment:

    1. Credit/Debit card. Telephone 01962 848097 and your details will be taken.
    2. Online. Use the blue Pay button on our home page. Choose Miscellaneous Payments. A new window appears. Choose Miscellaneous Payments again. Choose Animal Welfare from the list. Select the appropriate licence type and click on it. You are taken to an online form. Fill in the details and put the name of your premises in the message box. Use the continue button to move to the next page and make your payment.
  • Inspections

    Appointed veterinary surgeons and practitioners, appropriately qualified local authority officers, or other competent persons authorised by the local authority may inspect licensed premises and any animals at such premises at any reasonable time.

    There will normally only be one inspection for each licence granted but further inspections may be made to check that licence conditions have been complied with, if a complaint is received about the premises, or if there is any concern about the condition of the premises, or the welfare of an animal at the premises.

    Unlicensed premises may also be inspected in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

  • Refusal, Revocation, Suspension or Variation of a Licence

    A licence will be refused;

    • If the applicant is under 18.
    • If the applicant has been disqualified from holding an animal licence or keeping an animal, or has had a licence revoked under scetion 15 of the Regulations.
    • If conditions of the licence are not met.

    The applicant may appeal to a First tier Tribunal if the Council refuses to grant or renew a licence

    A licence may be varied, suspended or revoked by the Council for the following reasons;

    • the licence conditions are not being complied with
    • there has been a breach of the Regulations
    • the information supplied by the licensee is false or misleading, or
    • it is necessary to protect the welfare of an animal.

    The licensee may appeal to a First tier Tribunal if the Council has varied, suspended or revoked a licence.

    However, a licence may be varied by mutual consent of the Council and licensee.

  • Looking for licensees in the District?

    There is a list on the right hand side of the page. The list is usually updated twice a year.