Privacy settings

Animal Licences

Animal Licences

Information about licences including dog breeding establishments, home boarding for dogs, or keeping dangerous wild animals, to name a few.

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force on 1st October 2018, replacing previous legislation. Licences are required for the following activities;

  • Kennels
  • Catteries
  • Home boarding of dogs
  • Day care for dogs
  • Selling of animals as pets
  • Dog breeders
  • Riding Establishments and the hiring out of horses
  • The keeping or training of animals for exhibition

Should your business consist of more than one of the activities above, you will need to apply separately using the appropriate applications forms and will need to pay for both licence activities separately. The exception is animal boarding (which includes kennels, catteries, home boarding of dogs and day care for dogs) - these may be applied for using the same application form and you only need to pay a single licence fee. All licensable activities at the same premises can be combined on a single licence.

The regulations can be viewed here.

Guidance is held on the Canine and Feline Sector Group website here. Note that the Guidance was last updated on 1st February 2022. You will need to read the guidance for the appropriate activity but also the procedural guidance as this describes the rating system. Each premises will be risk rated at inspection and will be given a star rating from 1 to 5, which will also determine whether the premises is granted a licence for 1, 2 or 3 years. Note that, for premises with more than one activity, the star rating will be determined by the lowest rated activity.

Licences for keeping Dangerous Wild Animals and Zoos are covered by separate legislation.

For information, fees, methods of payment and to apply, just click on the appropriate licence button above.

Note that you may need planning permission to run a business of this nature, even if it is at your own home.

Data Protection if you make an application for a licence 

Winchester City Council (the Council) is the data controller for the personal information you are providing if you make an application. The Council will process this personal information in accordance with all relevant data protection law and will use it only to administer your application and licence and for the following purpose.

In accordance with guidance issued by DEFRA, a list of premises licensed under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals)(England) Regulations 2018 is published on our website. The list contains the following information; the name of the business (or the name of the licensee if there is no business name), the parish that your premises lies within, the star rating of your business, and a link to the business website (or a contact number for the business).  Your business will automatically be added to the list. If your name as licensee (and not a business name) is shown in the list,  you may request that your business be removed from the list by Emailing if you so wish.

For more information about how the Council processes your personal information, please see the Council’s privacy policy here

Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

Review your privacy settings