Planning an event

The Winchester District Safety Advisory Group (SAG) liaises with organisers of public events that are planned to take place in the Winchester City Council area.

The aim of the group is to ensure that large public events are safely and well managed. The SAG aims are:

  • To promote high levels of safety control at events;
  • To promote the well being of public at those events; and
  • To ensure events cause minimal inconvenience to local residents.

The SAG will consider large scale public events where more than 500 people are expected to attend, although smaller events may require the involvement of the SAG depending on the event. Typical events may include pop concerts, carnivals, parades, firework displays etc, some of which may require a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

NB When planning an event involving more than 10,000 people a minimum of 6 months notice should be sought and a minimum of 3 months notice for between 500 and 10,000 people. Event organisers are likely to be invited to attend a SAG meeting to present their plans.

Once you have confirmed the initial details of your event (such as date and nature of event) Notify us of your event to confirm the details and the relevant officers will contact you to discuss your event planning further. Event Organisers are likely to be invited to a SAG meeting. They may be asked about their experience and competence in managing events and will be required to present their plans.

To demonstrate that they are managing an event well and have sufficient plans in place, Event Organisers will be required to submit a site plan together with their Event Management Plan and Traffic Management Plan - both these can be found on the 'What to Consider' page below.

After the event, organisers may be invited back to a SAG meeting to review and evaluate the event.

To demonstrate that they are managing an event well and have sufficient plans in place, Event Organisers will be required to submit a site plan together with their Event Management Plan (EMP) and Traffic Management Plan (TMP).

The nature and complexity of EMP/TMPs depends on the type and scale of an event. At a smaller event, a Traffic Management Plan might be incorporated into the Event Management Plan or at a larger event where more detail required, kept separate. Both plans are working documents that may be revised several times. It is therefore important to ensure that they are indexed.

  • Event Management Plan

    May include the following:

    Event Safety Policy Statement

    • Safety Statement
    • Overall Management
    • Levels of responsibility

    Risk Assessments

    Risk assessments and the arrangements that are to be put into place as a result of the risk assessments. These arrangements provide the body of the plan and may include the following:

    Details of the event

    • Venue and site design
    • Structures and Barriers
    • Structual Safety calculations & drawings
    • Fuel use and storage
    • Electrical installations and Lighting
    • Audience profile and capacity
    • Duration
    • Site vehicle movements and transport
    • Food
    • Toilets and waste
    • Water
    • Camping
    • Amusements/ attractions/ Displays
    • Fire safety
    • First Aid / Medical Arrangements
    • Special effects - lasers / strobes etc
    • Fairground Rides / Attractions
    • Access and exits
    • Construction and site dismantling
    • Information and Welfare
    • Lighting

    Noise Management Plan

    • Music sources, locations and timings
    • Policies for prevention of noise disturbance

    Site Safety Plan

    • Site Safety rules
    • Safety Co-ordinator
    • Site crew Managers

    Crowd Management Plan

    • Numbers and types of stewards
    • Chain of command
    • Training
    • Methods of working

    Emergency Plan

    • Major incidents / contingencies
    • Designated people
    • Action to be taken
    • Trialling the emergency plan

    First Aid/Accident Plan

    • Procedures for administering first aid on site arrangements with local hospitals etc
    • Chain of command
    • Training
    • Methods of working

    Where there are events being held on different sites, it is worth considering and overall Event Management Plan and separate site specific plans.

  • Traffic Management Plan

    A traffic management plan (TMP) is one part of the overall event management plan (EMP). It also has key links to the risk assessments as key traffic risks and actions identified in the TMP should also be highlighted in the risk assessment.

    The key, specific areas any TMP should cover are as follows;

    • The sign schedule.
    • Details of all roads to be closed and signed diversion routes.
    • Details of any temporary traffic regulation orders made. Event organisers should contact the local District Council to discuss Orders for control measures such as temporary speed limits, lifting of parking restrictions, temporary one-way systems etc.
    • Details of expected numbers of attendees and estimated number of vehicles arriving.
    • Details of contingencies for adverse weather.
    • Details of any arrangements made with Hampshire County Council regarding the control of permanent traffic lights.
    • Details of event parking. Enough parking should be provided. If this is not possible then the event promoter must consider additional support to prevent illegal parking.
    • Details of consultations and traffic related agreements made, particularly with regard to the emergency services and local residents / businesses and bus services.
    • Details of emergency access routes agreed with fire, police and ambulance services, together with details of how this route will be kept open.
    • Details of traffic related agreements with bus companies in order to accommodate or divert their services.
    • Details of advertising for the event, particularly with regard to advertised routes for attendees. Event promoters should consider the opportunities to maximise the use of public transport to their event to minimise vehicular traffic.
    • Details of any ticket / entry fee collections. Tickets and entry fees should not be collected at entry points off of the public highway as this tends to cause unnecessary queuing.
    • Traffic related lessons learned from previous events.
    • Details of special considerations needed for vulnerable groups or those with disabilities.
    • Contact details for the person responsible for traffic management at the event.
    • Contact details for other relevant organisations involved in traffic management at the event.

    If you are planning an event, you might like to make use of the network of community buses around the District which can provide low cost transport for groups. There is more information on the community bus network on Hampshire County Council's Community Transport pages, or you can go direct to the co-ordinators for buses in the Winchester District. This can reduce the number of cars coming to your event, and also provide transport for those who might otherwise find it hard to get to your event.

  • Do I need a license?

    If you intend to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or late night refreshment, you will require a premises licence or a temporary event notice, under the Licensing Act 2003.

    Regulated entertainment is provided if you put on a performance for the public of plays, films, indoor sporting events, boxing or wrestling, live music, recorded music, dance or anything similar to these events.

    If you have music which is incidental to the main event, no licence is required. Background music does not need a licence. It is best to check with a Licensing Officer to be certain whether or not a licence is required.

    Late night refreshment is the provision of hot food or drink between the hours of 2300 and 0500. There is no requirement for a licence between 0500 and 2300.

    A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) may be used to cover small scale events (lasting no longer than 168 hours) that will cater for a maximum of 499 people including performers. A TEN could be used for a small beer tent at a fete, for example.

    If you are intending to attract more than 499 people you will require a Premises Licence. You must allow a minimum of two months to apply for this licence. In the case of an event attracting more than 5,000 people we would expect a minimum of 3 months, and for events for more than 10,000 people a minimum of 6 months notice.

    Guidance can be found on the Home Office website.

    If you have any queries regarding licensing, please email