Keeping your energy bills down
Save money and help reduce climate change with these useful information leaflets.
- Top Tips - The average UK home could save £280 and 1.1 tonnes of CO2 by being more energy efficient. Everyone has their favourite top tip for making savings, here are some of ours...
- A Bit of Hot Water - heating the hot water in your home will, on average, account for 23% of your heating bill, around £160 a year.
- A Changing Climate - what is climate change and what does it mean in Hampshire.
- Electricity - Even the small things add up, by making lots of small changes you could shave hundreds of pounds off your electricity bills. Just to light a home in the UK costs an average of £85 per year.
- Feeling the Heat - Understanding how your home is heated will help you reduce the amount of energy you use in your home.
- Heating your Home with Electricity - Many UK homes are heated with electric storage heaters. They are designed to heat up over night and release the heat gradually during the day.
- Insulating and Draft Proofing Your Home - Warm air in a room cools quickly when it hits cold walls or windows. Insulation and draught proofing are great ways to save money on your heating bills!
- Renewable Energy Choices for the Home - Reducing your dependency on fossil fuels in your home is good for the environment and saves you money. Here are some of the options available to you.
- Transport and Travel - Reducing your weekly car mileage by 5 miles a week could save you £40 and 85kg CO2 per year. If everyone in the UK did this, we would save £1.1 billion and 3 million tonnes of CO2.
- Water - Each Briton uses about 150 litres of tap water a day, but if you include the amount of water embedded within products, our water consumption increases to about 3400 litres a day.
- What a Waste - Current landfill sites could be full by 2018, the solution should not be to simply find more sites.
- Cool Communities - Each Cool Communities EcoGroup comprises five or six individuals from different households who meet four times, usually at someones house, to work through the cool communities handbook and look at ways of reducing their carbon footprint in a fun and sociable environment.
- Hitting the Cold Spots- For the fourth year, Hampshire County Council with its partners are running the Hitting the Cold Spots campaign which can help and advise you on ways to keep warm and healthy.
- Solent Green Deals- Solent Green Deal is a consortium of local authorities in Hampshire offering impartial advice and information to Hampshire residents, landlords and tradespeople.