Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit

  • What is Housing Benefit?

    Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

    Click here to find out about Housing Benefit and if you will need to claim Universal Credit.

  • Backdating Housing Benefit

    If you are under State Pension Credit age Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction can be backdated if a good reason is shown for the delay in claiming. A good reason must be shown for the whole backdate.

    The maximum time a claim can be backdated is one month. This time is from the date that the application for backdating is made.

    If you or your partner are over State Pension Credit age you have 3 months to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. You do not need to provide a good reason.

    Click here to apply for a backdate

  • Local Housing Allowance

    If you rent privately, your eligible rent amount is either your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate or your actual rent, whichever is lower. The LHA rate is based on: