Privacy settings

Non-dependant deductions

A non-dependant is an adult who lives with you, normally a grown up son, daughter, friend or relative. A non-dependant will normally reduce your Housing Benefit and/or pension age Council Tax Reduction by the amount the government expects them to contribute to your household. This reduction is called a non-dependant deduction. Non-dependant deductions do not apply to working age Council Tax Reduction.

Non-dependants do not include:

  • your partner
  • a child you get Child Benefit for
  • joint tenants
  • a resident landlord
  • boarders or lodgers

There are no deductions if the non-dependant is:

  • under 18 years old
  • a full time student
  • getting Pension Credit or some out of work benefits
  • a temporary visitor who normally lives somewhere else

There are no deductions if you or your partner:

  • get Attendance Allowance
  • get the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • are registered blind





Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

Review your privacy settings