Recycling bin collection
Thank you for recycling - but are you doing it right?
On average our resident recycles 35% of their waste each year. This is good but we can all do a bit more by becoming more waste aware, and disposing of the right things in the right place.
Help us to recycle right by following these recycling top tips attachment on the right hand side of this page!
In your green recycling bin you can recycle...
- Plastic bottles
- Tins & Cans
Remember the golden rule.... all recycling placed in the recycling bin needs to be clean, dry and loose!
- Junk mail
- Computer paper
- Envelopes, including windowed envelopes
- Catalogues and directories
- Paper bags
- Greeting cards
- Shredded paper
- Gift wrap
- Plastic coated (laminated) paper
- Paper towels, tissues and napkins
- Wall paper
- Cereal packets
- Food boxes
- Greetings cards
- Kitchen and toilet roll holders
- Corrugated card
- Any plastic or foam packaging left inside cardboard boxes. Please dispose of this in the black bin.
- Pizza boxes due to food debris
- Food and drink bottles e.g. milk, drink bottles, shampoo bottles and cleaning product bottles. Lids and labels can be left on. Please empty any liquid content and squash the bottle before replacing the lid.
- Detergent bottles e.g. washing up liquid, cleaning fluids, bleach and fabric softener
- Toiletries e.g. shampoo, shower gel and liquid soap
- Bottles containing liquid or bottles not empty
- Spray and pump dispensers
Tins and Cans
- Food tins including pet food tins
- Drinks cans
- Sweet and biscuit tins
- Paint tins
- Partially full food/pet food tins or dirty tins
- Other metals or metal packaging
- Food e.g., cream and oil
- Full or partially full aerosols
What can't go in the green bin
Plastic carrier bags or sacks You don't need to bag your recycling up just place it in the green bin clean, dry and loose Plastic pots, tubs and trays The types of plastic used to make these items cannot be successfully sorted by the equipment at the Material Recovery Facility. Most containers can be reused in the home to store food leftovers etc.. Glass Glass bottles and jars can go in the local bottle bank. To locate your nearest site please click on the blue link. Textiles, clothes and shoes These can be recycled at local bring sites – Look out for the blue bins! To locate your nearest site click on the blue link. Shredded paper
Unfortunately the paper strands are to small to sort at the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) and shredding shortens the length of the fibres making it less desirable for paper companies.
Shredded paper can be used in composting to absorb water or reused as packaging or animal bedding.
Foil is often soiled with food which can reduce the quality of the materials in the recycling bin, especially paper.
Aluminium foil can be taken to local recycling centres in the district (not run by WCC) or placed in your black bin. To find your nearest site please click on the blue link.
Food and drinks cartons
Food and drinks cartons such as those made by Tetra Pak cannot be sorted at the Material Recovery Facility (MRF)
These can be placed in the black bin or can be recycled at local recycling centres in Hampshire although currently there aren't any facilities in Winchester. To locate your nearest site please click on the blue link.
Polystyrene Polystyrene can be disposed of in the black bin.
Want to know what those symbols on packaging mean? Find out more about understanding recycling labels
We want you to recycle as much as you can. Our collection teams will always collect extra recycling which can be placed in a cardboard box next to your green bin.
If you regularly overfill your green bin you can purchase additional recycling bins by contacting customer services on 0300 300 0013 or click on the link below.
To purchase new or additional bins or to report a missed collection please click on the links below.
NB. Although the majority of recycling bins are green some residents may have a smaller black bin that they use for recycling. This is perfectly acceptable and crews will still empty on the recycling week provided they can identify the bin with the embossed recycling logo on the lid. If you wish to order a larger replacement green bin please click on the link below.