Playing out/Apply for a road closure

This webpage is for organisations to apply to Winchester City Council for a road closure. You will find two forms on this webpage; this is because as of the 1st April 2020, a charge of £1,700 is required for you to legally close the road for a non-charity event. If you are applying on behalf of a charity or a not-for-profit organisation, you will be exempt from paying this fee. If you have any queries regarding whether you are eligible for not-for-profit status, please contact the Traffic and Transport team on the following email address: . If you are applying for a road closure on behalf of a utility company, please contact Hampshire County Council on the following email address: 

  • To apply

    If you are wanting to close a road for an event, please use the online form: Temporary Road Closure – Payment

    If you are a charitable organisation or a not-for-profit, please use the online form: Temporary Road Closure – Non Payment

    If you are wishing to close a road for a community street party, please use the Temporary Road Closure – Non Payment

  • Do I need a Licence?

    Most street parties won't need a licence. However , if you intend to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment to the public, or charge money for your event, you may need to submit a Temporary Event Notice or apply for a Premises Licence. Please visit for further information. If you wish to check whether a licence is required for your event, please email or phone 01962 848 188. 

  • Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

    You will be asked to provide evidence of your public liability insurance in both online forms.

  • Do I need to do a Risk Assessment?

    If you are seeking to close a road for a community street party, please read and follow the following guidance.

    A written risk assessment is not required for small street parties but you may wish to minimise things going wrong and have a back up plan for example, to consider what you would do in bad weather. A few sensible do's and don'ts to ensure your safety are included below:


    1. Make someone responsible for lifting any road closure barriers to allow vehicular access to properties unaffected by the party, or for the emergency services.
    2. Always ensure there is clear access for the emergency services i.e. police, fire and ambulance. (NB. If you can not provide clear access to your property your home insurance may be affected)
    3. Order beer in plastic barrels and use plastic glasses, plastic bottles and cans to prevent breakages (and washing up!).
    4. Make sure any electrical equipment used outside is properly earthed and connected to an RCD or circuit breaker.
    5. Make sure any temporary structures such as marquees and canopies are securely and safely fixed down. Any guy ropes should be visibly marked to reduce trips.
    6. Ensure a basic first aid box is available to deal with minor cuts and grazes.
    7. Keep young children away from any barbecue or hot cooking equipment.
    8. Remember the neighbours and other residents. If music is getting loud turn it down to prevent causing a nuisance to others. Avoid playing loud music that could disturb neighbours after 11pm.
    9. Walk round the area to check for any hazards or dangers from the party, which may cause accident or injury.


    1. Take glasses or glass bottles into the street to prevent broken glass causing injury.
    2. Leave doors and windows of your house unlocked whilst you're out in the street. Burglars may still be on the lookout for an open invitation.
  • Current road closures

    There are currently no road closures. 

Have a great party!