Private Hire Driver's Licences
A licence is required before any person can drive a Private Hire Vehicle. Private Hire Vehicles cannot ply for hire in the street or at taxi ranks. Journeys must be pre-booked, normally by phone, via an app, or in person at a cab office.
Before a licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the Council that:
- he/she is a fit and proper person to hold a licence;
- he/she is medically fit;
- he/she has attained the age of 21 years;
- he/she has held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) granted to the applicant under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972 authorising him/her to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application;
- he/she can demonstrate adequate knowledge of the local area;
- he/she has the right to work in the UK
New applicants are required to pass a taxi driving assessment with the Blue Lamp Trust.
Once the application form has been completed, you need to make an appointment to visit our Offices, bringing with you the following documentation:
- the completed application form
- your DVLA Driving Licence (original - not a photocopy)
- your passport or birth certificate
- your National Insurance number
- fees - currently £117 initial fee*, renewal £86.
All new and existing drivers and required to obtain an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check from Personnel Checks. Once the driver has received their enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate, they must supply it to the Licensing Department.
If any driver is unable to apply online for their enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate using the online service, please contact the Licensing Team on 01962 848 188.
Your application will not be accepted without production of the above.
* Please note, application fees can be paid online here under 'Miscellaneous Payments', or at the payment kiosk in the Main Reception at City Offices.