Privacy settings

Tattooing and Special Treatments

Anyone who wishes to carry on the practice of acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, cosmetic piercing, micro-needling and electrolysis (special treatments) must be registered with Winchester City Council unless they are a registered medical practitioner or dentist. Acupuncture and body art procedures MUST not be undertaken by anyone under the age of 18 years.

The purpose of registration is to protect members of the public from the transmission of blood borne viruses such as HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and other infections, and to ensure that health and safety regulations are followed. The Council has approved byelaws that set out standards for the hygienic operation of special treatment businesses. The byelaws can be downloaded from the link on the right hand side of this page.

It is compulsory to register both the premises and each practitioner under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.













Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

Review your privacy settings