House to House Collection Permit

A permit is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939.

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house to house collection permit can be granted for any period up to one year.

Collections generally take place from door to door or from one public house to another.

  • How to apply

    To apply for a House to House collection permit, please complete the form on the right-hand-side and send to the address below. A collector's certificate and badge must be obtained from The Stationary Office. Applications to apply for these are issued once your application has been granted.

    There is no cost for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed in applying. Please see the conditions on the right-hand side for more information.

    Please note that if you are an organisation or company collecting on behalf of a charity, you must provide a letter on headed paper from the charity authorising you to collect money/goods on their behalf. 

    Unlike street collections, there is a statutory right of appeal against the refusal to grant a house to house collection permit. In this case, the right of appeal is to the Secretary of State, and the grounds for refusal are set out in the Act itself.

    One of the key grounds for refusal would be where the total amount likely to be applied for charitable purpose, as a result of the collection, is inadequate in proportion to the value of the proceeds likely to be received. So, for instance, where an applicant intends to claim a fair proportion of the proceeds of the collection for expenses, a permit could be refused.There is no statutory guidance to local authorities on what would be a reasonable amount for expenses.

  • Requirements once a house to house collection has taken place

    Within one month after the date of any collection the person to whom the permit has been granted shall forward to the Winchester City Council a completed return found on the right-hand side of this page. 

    A copy of the House to House Collections Act 1939 can be viewed at the City Offices where you can also obtain an application form and a copy of our standard conditions.