Buskers or Busking

Buskers and other forms of street entertainment are a regular part of the street scene when visiting the historic city of Winchester. They can help to create a colourful and cheerful atmosphere giving great delight to residents and visitors alike.

However, for those living or working in the city centre, busking can become intrusive or annoying and may lead to nuisance, in which case we may well receive complaints about the noise. This is can be exacerbated if the buskers spend all their time at one location.

Winchester City Council kindly asks that buskers follow the Buskers Code, available on the right-hand side of this page. 

  • The Law

    Under the provisions of the Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993, noise from equipment used in the streets can be dealt with as a statutory nuisance. "Equipment" includes amplified musical instruments and the Act can apply if a busker is singing with any form of amplification system.

    Currently there is no specific busker licensing  scheme operating  in Winchester City Centre.

  • What should you do?

    If you find you are being disturbed by buskers, either outside your place of work or where you live, then ask them if they would move on. If this does not resolve the issue then contact the Environmental Health Services on 01962 848097.