Disabled Facilities Grant

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is a means tested grant to help people living in the private sector with the cost of adapting their homes to enable them to continue living there. This is a mandatory grant for works that have been recommended as essential and necessary by an Occupational Therapist.

Examples of eligible works can include the following:

  • A Stairlift
  • A walk in shower
  • Improved access to your property

However this is not an exhaustive list of adaptations a person may be assessed as needing.

In England the maximum grant an application can recieve is £30,000.

  • Who is eligible?

    Anybody who is a homeowner, privately renting or lives in a housing association property.

    Parents can make an application on behalf of their disabled children under the age of 16 (applications for children are not subject to means test).

    The Disabled Facilities Grant is means tested which means applicants will be financially assessed to see if they will need to make a contribution towards the cost of the work. Persons in receipts of certain benefits such as guaranteed pension credit etc will not be subject to a means test for the grant.

  • Are there any conditions applied to the grant?

    A general consent was introduced in May 2008 which enabled local authorities to place limited charges on adapted properties of owner occupiers where the cost of the work exceeds £5000 (this is limtied to a maximum charge of £10,000). This allows local authorities to impose a limited charge on the property if sold within the next ten years, at their discretion.

  • Can you start work before the grant is approved/can you apply for the grant retrospectively?

    No, the applicant should not start work before the application has been approved. Local authorities also have no powers to pay for works that have already been started.

  • How is the grant paid?

    The local authority may pay the grant in installments as the work progresses or once all the work has been completed. After the work has been satisfactorily inspected the local authority will pay the contractor directly.

  • How do I apply?

    If you would like some further information regarding applying for the Disabled Facilities Grant please contact the Private Sector Housing Team using the following details:

    01962 848 455