Pet Shop Licence
Pet Animals Acts 1951
The keeping of a pet shop refers to the carrying on at premises of any nature (including a private dwelling) of a business of selling animals as pets. This includes any internet business of selling pets plus anyone who supplies pets for sale, either to a third party or directly to the public.
Selling animals as pets as a business is prohibited in any part of a street, in a public place, or at a stall or barrow in a market.
We are responsible for licensing establishments, shops or individuals that are involved in activities concerning animals. Licences usually run from 1 January (or when issued) until 31 December and are renewable annually. The licence charges are listed below.
Winchester City Council must impose any conditions on the licence that it considers to be necessary, such as:
- Animals will be kept in accommodation that is suitable regarding size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, and cleanliness.
- Animals will be supplied with adequate food, drink, and bedding material.
- Animals will be adequately exercised and visited regularly.
- Precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of infectious or contagious diseases.
- Appropriate steps will be taken in case of fire or other emergency.
- Mammals are not sold below weaning age.
Additionally, veterinary surgeons and practitioners, local authority officers, or competent persons authorised by the local authority may inspect licensed premises and any animals found there at any reasonable time. Unlicensed premises may be inspected by applying for a warrant.
Refusal of licence
A licence will be refused;
- If the applicant is under 18.
- If the applicant has been disqualified from holding an animal licence or keeping an animal.
- If conditions of the licence are not met.
If a licence is refused or conditioned, the applicant may appeal to a magistrates court against the refusal or a particular condition. The courts may revoke a licence and disqualify a defendant from holding an animal licence for a set period of time.
The fees for Animal Licensing in 2018/19 are as follows:
- Pet Shops £196.00
Methods of Payment:
- Credit/Debit card. Telephone 01962 848097 and your details will be taken.
- Online. Use the blue Pay button above the A to Z on our web pages. Choose Miscellaneous Payments. A new window appears. Choose Miscellaneous Payments again. Choose Animal Welfare from the list. Select the appropriate licence type and click on it. You are taken to an online form. Fill in the details and put the name of your premises in the message box. Remember to alter the amount to the correct fee.