Council Tax

Council Tax

*****Unfortunately we have experienced technical difficulties with our telephones in the Local Taxes section today (Monday 16 March). Please accept our apologies if you have either called and have been unable to get through or you have called and requested a call back. We are now unable to return those calls and would be very grateful if you would call the Local Taxes section again later in the week with your enquiry. Our phones will be particularly busy this week as the annual Council Tax bills have been issued. If your enquiry is not urgent and you do not wish to hold on the telephone then please call back another time or send an email to . Thank you.*****

Council tax is a property based tax payable on most domestic properties such as a house or a flat but can also include other types of property where people can live such as a 'granny annex' or a caravan.

Your council tax funds a whole range of local services. Winchester City Council collects the council tax in the district on behalf of the County Council, the Police, the Fire and Rescue service and your Parish Council. Some of the council tax is kept by Winchester City Council to help pay for the services which we provide. See "Council Charges 2014/15" below for more information about how your money is spent.

How is each £1 spent?
In 2014/15 it will be: Hampshire County Council – 71.93p, Winchester City Council – 8.75p, Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire – 10.48p, Fire Authority 4.26p and Parishes – 4.58.

Residents warned of Council Tax scammers

It has been brought to the attention of Winchester City Council that residents in the district are receiving telephone calls informing them their Council Tax banding is incorrect. The caller states their company has been tasked by the council to contact residents to arrange to look into whether their property is correctly banded for Council Tax, also stating they will arrange for a refund on whatever residents are due back if their current banding is high.

Residents are then told this will cost them the sum of £55 but the council will then reimburse them. They then ask for bank details for this payment. In the past week four residents in a neighbouring Hampshire district have contacted their Council to inform them of the approach.

Our advice if you are contacted is Do NOT give out your bank details over the telephone. Notify Hampshire County Council, Trading Standards and the police. Anyone who believes their property to be in the incorrect banding for Council Tax should visit or contact 03000 501501 for more information.

Please note: we are on Twitter, please follow us @WinchesterCity or ‘like’ us on our Facebook page