Council tax is a property based tax payable on most domestic properties such as a house or a flat but can also include other types of property where people can live such as a 'granny annex' or a caravan.
Your council tax funds a whole range of local services. Winchester City Council collects the council tax in the district on behalf of the County Council, the Police, the Fire and Rescue service and your Parish Council. Some of the council tax is kept by Winchester City Council to help pay for the services which we provide. See "Council Charges 2014/15" below for more information about how your money is spent.
How is each £1 spent?
In 2014/15 it will be: Hampshire County Council – 71.93p, Winchester City Council – 8.75p, Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire – 10.48p, Fire Authority 4.26p and Parishes – 4.58.
The Cash Office is operating reduced hours until further notice - please see the opening times before arranging your visit
- Council Tax Reduction – Consultation for 2015/16 Winchester City Council would like to hear your views on their options for their Council Tax Reduction Scheme for 2015/16.
- Empty Homes Review Winchester City Council has instigated a review of empty Council Tax properties. The review will be undertaken by CapacityGrid on Winchester City Council’s behalf. Update the property records for your address using the information contained in the letter from CapacityGrid
- Council Tax Parish Charges 2014/15 Winchester City Council Freezes its Council Tax Charge for the fourth year in a row.
- Paying your Council Tax How much you will pay and how to pay it.
- Contact the Council Tax team Information on how to contact the Council Tax team
- Council Tax Reduction You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you are the person responsible for paying the Council Tax for the property you live in.
- Changes to Council Tax and Council Tax Benefit The Government abolished Council Tax Benefit and Councils have had to develop their own Council Tax Reduction schemes to replace it.
- Who has to pay Council Tax How it is decided who is liable to pay council tax.
- Discounts A list of all Council Tax Discounts that are available.
- Moving House? You can now complete a quick online form to let us know your details.
- Exemptions A list of all the instances where a property is exempt from Council Tax.
- Band Reductions - Valuation Office Appeal If you feel that your property has been placed in the wrong band you have the right to appeal.
- What happens if I do not pay my Council Tax? When your council tax is due and what to do if you are having problems paying.
- Guidance for Landlords Information and guidance for Landlords with occupants, empty properties and more.
- The sharing of personal data How we share information about you within the Council, with external bodies and with other Government Bodies
- Business Rates Find out about business rates and who is liable to pay.