Planning Application Fees
Planning fees have been reviewed by the Goverment. The new fees apply from 6 December 2023.
Key changes are as follows:
- Increase planning application fees by 35% for applications for major development and 25% for all other applications.
- Introduce an annual indexation of planning applications fees, capped at 10%, from 1 April 2025.
- Remove the fee exemption for repeat applications (the ‘free-go’). An applicant will still be able to benefit from a free-go if their application was withdrawn or refused in the preceding 12 months, subject to all other conditions for the free-go being met.
- Reduce the Planning Guarantee for non-major planning applications from 26 to 16 weeks.
- Introduce a new prior approval fee of £120 for applications for prior approval for development by the Crown on closed defence sites.
An applicant will still be able to benefit from a free-go if their application has been refused or withdrawn in the preceding 12 months, subject to all other conditions for the free-go being met.
The Guide includes fees for: alterations/ extension to two or more dwelling-houses; new dwelling-houses; erection of buildings (not houses), glass-houses or plant machinery; lawful development certificates; prior approval, reserved matters; variations of conditions, etc., including a list of exemption and concessions.