Open Call – an exciting artistic opportunity to create a bespoke piece of public art
Winchester City Council is seeking to commission an experienced artist to design and deliver a new and inspiring, vibrant wall mural at St Maurice’s Covert as part of the public realm improvement scheme on the High Street.
The overall aim of the project is to enhance the immediate environment and the passageway known as St Maurice’s Covert and to provide an attractive gateway to the cathedral from the High Street that local residents and visitors can enjoy.
Improvement works to the external side of the covert have already been completed, creating a safe and welcoming environment. The next stage will be the installation of new lighting and the refurbishment of the ceiling. The wall mural will complete the transformation of the covered space.
This £8,000 commission offers a unique opportunity for an artist to create a bespoke piece of public art in the heart of Winchester’s beautiful historic city and should:
- Take inspiration from the history of the covert, its former church and Norman tower.
- Take inspiration from its historical strategic location.
- Explore ways of naming St Maurice’s Covert and creating signage to the cathedral.
- Take into account the location of the flower-seller and complement the different uses of the space.
- Be a form that requires minimal ongoing expenditure on maintenance and repair.
- Factor into all designs the Health and Safety to visitors, installers and operators.
Cllr Chris Edwards, St Michaels Ward, said:
“I am delighted that Winchester City Council is able to offer this very rare and exciting opportunity and look forward to seeing what imaginative and inspiring designs the artists come up with. This Public Art Commission is part of our ongoing commitment to improve the High Street for everyone and will provide a more attractive route through to the cathedral and beyond.”
This is an open call and expressions of interest are being invited from artists and design agencies.
If you are interested in this exciting, rare opportunity, please email Deborah Edgington: DEdgington@winchester.gov.uk in the first instance to request information about the project scope, the artistic brief and details on how to respond to the open call.
The closing date for expressions of interest is 12 noon on Monday 14 March 2022.