The aim of the Natural Environment and Recreation Team (NERT) is to ensure the quality of place we enjoy is maintained and enhanced, thereby maximising benefits for residents, businesses and visitors. This is achieved by delivering works which protect and improve the natural environment including land management, biodiversity, landscape architecture, trees, open spaces, play areas and sports pitches.
The team consists of the following disciplines:
- Arboriculturalists (Trees)
- Landscape Architects
- Open Space officers
- To provide advice and recommendations to planning officers for both for both planning authorities within the District - Winchester City Council and South Downs National Park which forms 40% of the District.
- To manage requests for memorial benches and trees
- To manage and refurbish all the play areas within the City of Winchester. Play areas in the parishes are managed either by Parish Councils or developer's private management companies.
- To manage all open spaces owned by the Council. We have a variety of open spaces from sports pitches and parklands to nature areas and wetlands.
- To manage the bookings for sports pitches - cricket, tennis and football.
- To protect trees and woodlands within the district including serving Tree Preservation Orders
- To undertake annual tree planting on Council owned land.
- To inspect trees on Council owned land.
- To undertake environmental enhancement projects around the district.
- To ensure open space within new development is designed, implemented and transferred in accordance with the approved plans.
Telephone: 01962 848 301