How to Report a Repair

You can report a repair by:


  • Call Customer Services on 01962 848 400
  • Out of hours on 01962 865 405


  • Using My Council House - our Self Service Portal for Tenants
  • E-mail to 

Other ways

  • Completing a maintenance report card, available from the Customer Service Centre
  • In Person at City Offices reception
  • Write to us at City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester, Hampshire SO22 9LJ

Repair Categories

When you report a repair, we will decide how urgent it is and will place it in one of the categories shown in the table below. This table also shows the type of work placed in each category and how soon the repair is likely to be carried out.





Out of Hours Calls
We try to respond to and make safe these repairs within two hours; however, this will usually only mean making safe/temporary repairs.


Follow-up works may then need to be raised on lower priorities

This category only includes work necessary to prevent danger to life or extensive damage to your property, or if the problem will have an adverse effect on a medical need, elderly person or an infant under 1 year.


If your repair is covered by any of the items in ‘B’ (below) and does not fall under the above criteria, it will be actioned the following day (including weekends).


If you call the Council for work that is not an emergency you may be charged for any costs incurred over and above the normal repair charges.


Emergency Repairs
Repairs that may result in damage to the property or injury to persons will be attended to, wherever possible, within 2 hours; other emergency repairs will be carried out within 24 hours.


All initial repairs may only involve making safe or carrying out temporary works.


Follow-up works may then need to be carried out on lower priorities.

  • Total loss of electricity (24hr response)
  • Defective light fittings to kitchen, bathroom and stairways (24hr response)
  • Burst water pipes (2hr response)
  • Loss of water supply (24hr response)
  • Loss of hot water (1st Nov – 30th April) (24hr response)
  • Total failure of central heating (1st Nov – 30th April) (24hr response)
  • Replacement of WC pans, where there is only one WC (24hr response)
  • Restore flush to WC where tenant is unable to flush with a bucket of water (24hr response)
  • Roof leaks (24hr response)
  • Dangerous roof slates / chimneys (make safe) (2hr response)
  • Defective external door locks (24hr response)
  • Board up or re-glaze for safety or security reasons (2hr response)
  • Blocked sewers (2hr response)


Urgent Repairs
These will be carried out within five working days.  This category covers works required to prevent you suffering undue inconvenience or further damage to your property.

  • Replacement of WC pans
  • Rain penetration to doors / windows
  • Electrical repairs general (not specified in B)
  • Glazing
  • Containable leaks
  • Loss of hot water (1st May – 31st Oct)
  • Total failure of central heating (1st May – 31st Oct)


Priority Repairs
These will be carried out within twelve working days.  These include minor repairs which are non-urgent and not an emergency, as defined above.

  • Repairs to overflows (Category B in winter months)
  • Loose floorboards
  • Garage doors
  • Chimney pots
  • Tap washers


Routine Repairs
These will be carried out within 30 working days.  This category includes all other minor repairs.

  • All other general repairs


Planned Maintenance
This covers major items of replacement throughout a number of properties, such as works of a structural nature.  These works tend to be expensive and there may be long delays before they can be carried out.

  • External repair and painting
  • Kitchen / bathroom refurbishments
  • Re-roofing
  • Replacement guttering / soffits etc.
  • Out of hours repairs

    The out of hours service operates:

    • From 5.00pm to 8.30am, Monday to Thursday, Friday  4.30pm – 8.30am Monday
    • Weekends
    • On Bank Holidays

    The purpose of our out of hours emergency repairs service is to provide an emergency call out service when the Customer Service Centre is closed.

    It is expensive to organise tradesmen out of hours, so it is important that you only request a call out for a genuine emergency. We define an emergency as danger to life or limb, where there is a serious risk to health or where there is risk of considerable damage to the property, for example, if a water leak causes a ceiling to collapse. In exceptional circumstances, we may also regard a repair as an emergency if it causes undue anxiety or stress or would cause significant inconvenience over a prolonged period. The Council aims to respond and make safe wherever possible within two hours.

    We do not tolerate verbal abuse towards our staff, so if you are abusive to our call out officer we will not treat your call as an emergency.

    The emergency call out officers may use their discretion, based on the nature of the call or where the tenant is disabled, a pensioner or has a young baby in the property. The emergency system should not be used by tenants to ‘short circuit’ the normal repair priorities.

    We will charge you for the emergency call out if the contractor informs us that it was not a genuine emergency. You may be depriving another person with a genuine emergency if you abuse the system.

    Gas leaks

    Please note that gas leaks or suspicion of fumes from a gas appliance should be reported direct to Southern Gas Networks on 0800 111 999.

  • The Housing Quality Standard (HQS)

    THE HOUSING QUALITY STANDARD (HQS) is designed to ensure that you are provided with a Decent Home that is maintained in good condition. Winchester City Council has set out to meet and improve upon the Government’s Decent Homes standard.

  • Our commitment to you

    We undertake to maintain your home in a safe and reasonably weather-tight condition and, wherever possible, to provide modern facilities over and above those required by the Government’s Decent Homes standard.

    We will:

    • Externally inspect your home every 5 years as part of our ongoing stock survey plans
    • Ensure your home benefits from a modern kitchen (less than 20 years old)
    • Provide you with an efficient and effective heating & hot water system
    • Insulate your home to make it more affordable for you to keep warm
    • Maintain a safe and secure environment

    We will always try to let you know our future plans for your home and make sure you can access this information easily and will always inform you when work is due to start.

  • Who is Responsible

    Although the Housing Quality Standard sets out requirements for service standards, you too have certain obligations. Some repairs are your responsibility and you may be liable to pay for them if we have to complete them on your behalf. We will let you know when this is the case. We have included some of the main ones here.

    We will not repair or replace your own structures, fixtures or fittings. The following list gives an idea of some items for which you are responsible:

    • Replacing lost keys
    • Gaining entry if accidentally locked out
    • Replacing light bulbs and florescent tubes
    • Appliances, plugs and their fuses
    • Broken glass to windows and doors
    • TV aerials where not on a communal Council maintained system
    • Installation and maintenance of your own appliances. This includes connection of gas and electric cookers, which must be fitted by an appropriately registered installer. A completion certificate for the work must be forwarded to us within one week.