Council Tax bands and appeals
Property Band Valuation
If you feel that your property has been placed in the wrong band you have the right to appeal. Please ensure that you continue to pay your Council Tax whilst your appeal is being considered. If you do not make the correct payments then recovery action may be taken against you.
You need to contact the Listing Officer at the Valuation Office Agency for a form.
You can appeal if one or more of the following applies:
- Part of your property has been demolished or the property no longer exists
- You have made changes to your home for a person with a disability
- There have been material changes to the area in which you live that could affect the value of your property
- The property has been converted into flats
- If you stop or start using part of your property for a business
- The property value has increased because the previous owner extended it
- You think the property should no longer be liable to council tax
You can also appeal within the first six months if:
- You became the new council tax payer of a property
- The Listing Officer altered your band
- The Valuation Tribunal or High Court made a decision relevant to your property, which has not been reflected in your valuation band