Demolition of Buildings

In the interest of safety of the general public, occupiers and adjoining owners, most buildings to be demolished are subject to legal requirements administered by the Building Control Division.

  • If you wish to demolish a building or part of a building, you are required to notify the Local Authority in writing, giving at least six weeks notice.
  • A copy of the notice should also be sent to other interested parties, such as the occupier of any adjacent building, and the local water, gas and electricity supply authorities/companies.

We will write to inform you of any works to be carried out to services and adjoining buildings. This is to ensure that: Gas, electricity and water supplies are made safe, Redundant drains are sealed, Affected buildings are properly supported and weatherproofed, and On completion debris is removed and the site made safe.

You may only start the demolition if you have received our response to your notice or the six week period has expired. If you commence before that time the local authority may be obliged to take enforcement action under the Building Act 1984.

  • How to Apply for Consent
    • Complete and submit the Notice of Demolition online form or paper form.
    • Building Control Service will carry out a site inspection and will serve the Counter Notice in accordance with Sections 81 and 82 of the Building Act 1984.
  • Commencing Demolition Work

    Demolition works may only commence after receipt of the City Council's Counter Notice or on expiry of 6 weeks from the date Notice was given to the City Council.

    • Planning consent may also be required prior to demolishing a building. For further advice contact the Development Control Section - Telephone 01962 840 222 
  • Counter Notice Requirements

    The Council's Counter Notice will specify requirements that the owner or agent must adhere to during the demolition process.

    These requirements relate to:

    • Shoring and weatherproofing adjacent buildings.
    • Repairing damage to adjacent buildings.
    • Removing rubbish from the site.
    • Disconnecting, sealing or removing drains and sewers on the site.
    • Making good disturbed ground.
    • Making arrangements with statutory undertakers for the disconnection of services to the building.
    • Arrangements for burning of material on the site.
    • Other matters such as securing the site against unauthorised access, or ensuring compliance with British Standard 6187 Code of Practice on Demolition.

    Copies of the Counter Notice will be sent to relevant Statutory Undertakers, including Southern Electricity, Transco, Southern Water Services, the Health and Safety Executive, Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service, owner/occupiers of adjacent buildings and other sections of the Council and interested bodies.

  • Giving Notice of Certain Stages

    A person undertaking demolition work must provide Building Control with notice of certain stages of the work; these are as follows.

    • At least 48 hours notice must be given before disconnecting, sealing or removing drains and sewers on the site.
    • At least 24 hours notice must be given before making good disturbed ground

    To give notice of these stages you may contact the Building Control Division in the following ways:

    Telephone: 01962 848 176
    Post: Building Control , Winchester City Council, City Offices, Colebrook Street Winchester, SO23 9LJ