What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit (UC) is a new simpler single monthly payment for people of working age in or out
It supports working age people with basic living expenses and housing costs and replaces the following benefits:
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Housing Benefit
There are a small number of people who will not have their housing costs paid as part of their Universal Credit and will continue to receive help towards their rent by claiming Housing Benefit from Winchester City Council, for example:
- If you have been placed into temporary accommodation by our housing team under housing homeless or homeless prevention legislation
- If you are living in supported accommodation and receive care support or supervision from your landlord or by an organisation on your landlords’ behalf.
- If you who are entitled to a severe disability premium. You can find out more about the severe disability premium at https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support