Privacy settings

Non-dependant deductions

A non-dependant is an adult who lives with you, normally a grown up son, daughter, friend or relative. A non-dependant will normally reduce your Housing Benefit and/or pension age Council Tax Reduction by the amount the government expects them to contribute to your household. This reduction is called a non-dependant deduction. Non-dependant deductions do not apply to working age Council Tax Reduction.

Non-dependants do not include:

  • your partner
  • a child you get Child Benefit for
  • joint tenants
  • a resident landlord
  • boarders or lodgers

There are no deductions if the non-dependant is:

  • under 18 years old
  • a full time student
  • getting Pension Credit or some out of work benefits
  • a temporary visitor who normally lives somewhere else

There are no deductions if you or your partner:

  • get Attendance Allowance
  • get the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • are registered blind






Winchester City Council logo

Cookies Policy

As is common practice with many websites this site uses cookies, which are small files that are downloaded to your computer, used to improve your visit to this website.

It is recommended that you leave on all cookies if you want to enjoy this website.

Review your privacy settings