Change of property name FAQ

  • How much do you charge for this service?

    The council charges the sum of £65 for the administration costs for changing the name of a property.

  • Can I name my house without contacting the Council?

    Yes, however, Royal Mail and others are unaware of the change to your address.

  • If my house is numbered can I add a name?

    Yes, if a property is already numbered, a property owner can additionally name their property as long as it does not conflict with an existing property name in that locality. The property name in this case will become the secondary part of the property address, and the property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence; for example:

    'My House' (secondary address information)
    1 My Road (primary address information)

  • How do I go about changing the name of my property?

    Property owners need to put their request in writing, stating their name, the present full address of the property and state clearly their new preferred name. Your request can then be e-mailed to

    Alternatively, you can use our online form.

    NOTE: The request to change a name of a house can only be received from the owner of the property. Prospective owners of a property can request a house name change of their new property but only after contracts have been exchanged. The new owners should indicate when they expect completion to take place so that the new name can be operational on that date.

    We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and you will be informed accordingly. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will request alternatives.

    Notification of property address change information is then circulated to various organisations, see Page 17 of the Street, Naming and Numbering Policy, Procedure and Legislation document (download below)