Benefits scam warning
Press Release: 27/06/2012
Winchester City Council has today been made aware of a scam that is targeting pensioners in the Winchester District.
One of our customers called to explain what happens during the telephone call as detailed below:
- Phone call from someone saying they were from Winchester City Council, Benefits Office
- Advised customer that government had released additional money for pensioners
- Asked questions about annual income and put it through the computer to see if he qualified
- Advised he was successful and was entitled to additional £110 per week, in addition to Council Tax Benefit
- He was given a reference number and a telephone number to ring
- He was then put through to someone else in the “Accounts Dept” who asked for bank name. He then advised customer that a £150 registration fee was required.
The customer at this point realised that this was a scam and ended the call. Please do not give out any personal details or make any payments for registration fees to anyone claiming to be from Winchester City Council if you receive a phone call like this.
If customers are worried and want to speak to someone about this scam, please contact the Benefits team on 01962 848 539.