Address Management - Street Naming and Numbering
Press Release: 21/06/2010
Winchester City Council currently provides a comprehensive street naming and numbering service to developers and builders of new residential and commercial properties.
Part of the service is a statutory duty that we undertake, which is to name streets and number properties.
Other parts of the service which are non-statutory are:
- Consultation with Parish Councils and Ward Councillors with regard to Street names and building names.
- Requesting Post Codes from Royal Mail.
- Creating a schedule of official postal addresses for the development.
- Notification of the new addresses to various departments and organisations.
- Notification of New Streets to the Custodian of the National Street Gazetteer “The NSG” at Hampshire County Council Highways.
- Keeping a record of official addresses in the Winchester City Council Local Land and Property Gazetteer “The LLPG”
- Updating the National Land and Property Gazetteer “ The NLPG”
The Council has now formally adopted legislation which allows us to begin charging for the administration of the service.
We intend to begin charging starting on the 1 of July 2010.