City Council Backs New Businesses
Press Release: 17/06/2009Winchester City Council is offering cash support to help new businesses in the Winchester District.
Grants of up to £1,000 are being made available to help budding entrepreneurs start up new businesses as part of a package of activities designed to promote a healthy local economy.
Business Link Hampshire and Isle of Wight are working with the Council, providing free advice, help with the application process, and help with the administration of the grants scheme.
The funding will be available until March 2011, dependant on the level of demand, and will operate on a ‘first come, first-served’ basis. The scheme will then be reviewed, so that the Council can consider the potential for an extension or changes.
30% of the grant will be given once the application is approved. The remaining 70% will be given after six months, subject to an assessment of the sustainability of the business. A number of basic conditions are attached, such as the production of a viable business plan and participation in start-up training and networking events with Business Link.
Cllr George Beckett, Leader of Winchester City Council, said:
“This funding will provide a much needed boost to all those local entrepreneurs who need a helping hand to get going, particularly at a time when banks are still reluctant to lend. By helping to kick-start new enterprises, we are supporting the future employers of the District.”
Deborah Wyatt, Director of Business Link, said:
“We are delighted to be able to support Winchester City Council with this project. We will be looking for pre-start businesses, or those who have been trading for less than six months. The business needs to be a viable proposition, and the applicant will have to prove that they need this grant to get going.”
Businesses will have to meet a number of criteria to be approved for a grant; this is designed to ensure a fair system.
To apply or find out more, contact Business Link on 0845 600 9 006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org