Winchester's Economic Action Plan
Press Release: 03/01/2006
Winchester City Council has published The Draft Winchester Economic Action Plan for public consultation. The action plan identifies the steps key organisations are to take to maintain and improve the prosperity of the district.
The action plan is for all partners with an interest in the local economy, including Winchester City Council, Hampshire County Council, University of Winchester, Business Link Wessex and Winchester City Centre partnership to name but a few. The plan forms the strategy for the economic arm of Winchester's Local Strategic Partnership.
Winchester City Council's Portfolio Holder for Economy and transport, Councillor Richard Knasel, said, "the draft Economic Action Plan brings partners together to enable a co-ordinated approach to the economic wellbeing of the Winchester District. It is about the outcomes we can achieve together; the economy is not a stand alone subject, but incorporates all other areas of society. Key stakeholders need to work together to keep Winchester's economy on top."
The Action Plan covers ten key priority areas;
• Support rural industries
• Invest in knowledge based and creative industries
• Build on the competitiveness of Winchester town
• Identify and address needs of potential investors
• Provide business with high quality support services
• Address workforce needs of potential investors
• Provide a balanced mix of commercial sites and premises
• Maximise social benefits of business
• Improve the quality of Winchester's environmental assets
• Strengthen links between economy and tourism
The consultation process will also include focus groups to discuss specific areas of the action plan. The full draft document is available to view and comment on via the City Council's website at www.winchester.gov.uk/business or a hard copy can be made available from Economic Development at Winchester City Council (telephone 01962 848 563 or email email@example.com ).
Click here for more information on the Local Strategic Partnership