Winchester City Council is responsible for the licensing and regulation of Hackney Carriages (taxis) and Private Hire Vehicles within the Council's district.
Please click on the links below for further information on each licence.
Winchester City Council are currently reviewing the Statement of Licensing Policy with respect to Hackney and Private Hire Vehicles, Drivers and Private Hire Operators which is currently in consultation. If you have any comments to make regarding the changes, please provide them in writing to email@example.com or in writing to Licensing, Winchester City Council, City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester SO23 9LJ, no later than 2 March 2017.
- Current Fees Current annual fees and associated fees for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licences from 1 April 2011 (there was no increase in 2012)
- Hackney Carriage (Taxi) Licence A 'Hackney Carriage' is more commonly called a Taxi. This licence is required for any chauffeur-driven hire vehicle that will ply for hire, be flagged down or hired at a taxi rank
- Hackney Carriage Driver's Licences A licence is required before any person can drive a hackney carriage (taxi).
- Private Hire Driver's Licences A licence is required before any person can drive a private hire vehicle carrying passengers for hire.
- Private Hire Operator's Licence A private hire operator's licence is required to enable a person to accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles.
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence Private Hire Vehicles cannot apply for hire in the street or at taxi ranks. Journeys must be pre-booked, normally by phone or in person at a cab office
- Taxi and Private Hire Forum The objective of the Taxi and Private Hire Forum is to have a more constructive relationship between drivers, operators and the Licensing Section of the City Council.