At the City Council we are responsible for issuing licences for Hackney Carriages, Private Hire Vehicles, Premises Licences (for the sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment), Personal Licences (all under the Licensing Act 2003) as well as for Street and House to House collections.
This authority is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Click here for more information.
- Alcohol, Entertainment & Late Night Refreshment The Licensing Act 2003 requires anyone selling or supplying alcohol, or providing regulated entertainment or late night refreshment to hold a premises licence or club premises certificate.
- Animal Licences Information about licenses including dog breeding establishments, running accomodation for other people's animals, or keeping exotic pets, to name a few
- Applications (Pending) A list of the new licensing applications received within the last 4 weeks. Please note that this does not list temporary event notices or applications to transfer or vary the designated premises supervisor.
- Business Licences Licences are required for a varity of different business activities, including running a food business or caravan site or for the use of explosives.
- Buskers and Busking Buskers and other forms of street entertainment are a regular part of the street scene when visiting the historic city of Winchester
- Catering Furniture on the Highway If you wish to place tables and chairs on the highway (this includes any street or pedestrianised area), you will require a licence from the City Council.
- Charitable Collections Licences or permits are required by people collecting for charity, both in the street and house-to-house.
- Gambling Act Under the Gambling Act 2005, the City Council is the Licensing Authority for gambling premises. The Council is required under the Act to review the Statement of Principles every three years. The current Statement must be reviewed by 31 January 2016.
- Gaming Machines Licence A gaming machine licence is required in respect of premises providing amusements with prizes by way of machines.
- Lottery Licence The Gambling Act 2005 controls the conduct of small lotteries, raffles etc. by societies raising money for charitable, sports or other similar purposes, not for personal gain.
- Sex Establishment Licence Sex Establishments are required to be licensed by the City Council under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.
- Skip and Scaffolding Licences If you want to place an object on or around a road or pavement, you must apply for the correct licence or permit from the Highways Authority.
- Street Trading Consent Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food eg. burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other things such as household items.
- Sunday Trading Restrictions on opening times on Sundays are now confined to large shops (defined under the Act as those having an internal sales area of over 280sq.m)
- Taxi and Private Hire Licences Winchester City Council is responsible for the licensing and regulation of Hackney Carriages (taxis) and Private Hire Vehicles within the Council's district.