The cost and affordability of housing in Winchester District is a serious problem. There is a genuine shortage of affordable properties in Winchester, with demand for affordable homes massively outstripping supply and the number of people on the waiting list is increasing monthly.
Providing affordable housing can help tackle these problems and delivering new homes is a Council priority.
The Council is constructing new affordable Council Homes and also working with Registered Providers (sometimes known as Housing Associations) to provide new affordable housing across the District.
Housing will not be built for profit; it will be to meet the needs of Winchester people who cannot afford a home of their own.
For information on our current Council housing schemes please click on the tabs below.
Please click on the map below to see a larger map of the District with the Council's Affordable Housing Sites
- Council schemes being considered Winchester City Council's new affordable housing schemes in the early stages.
- On Site Schemes Delivery of much needed affordable homes around the District helps to transform the lives of local people and benefits the local community
- Completed Schemes Winchester City Council is one of few Local Authorities in the UK actively building new affordable housing.
- Affordable Housing - new schemes in the next year Affordable housing schemes are also being developed by Housing Association's across the Winchester District.
- Chesil Lodge Apartments for outright sale, shared ownership and affordable rent for people aged 55 and over with an existing or potential care need
- Housing Association - Rural Housing & HARAH The demand for Affordable Housing is particularly high in rural areas, with many rural people having been forced to leave areas because they simply cannot afford the housing.
- The Need for Affordable Housing There are over 2300 households on the Council’s housing waiting list. There is a chronic shortage of family accommodation. A family in average need would expect to wait four to six years for a three bed roomed house.