Winchester City Council's Conservation section provide specialist advice on the conservation of the district's historic built environment, including listed buildings, conservation areas and other buildings that are considered of significant local historic interest. The district contains approximately 3 000 listed buildings and 37 conservation areas.
NEW: English Heritage's advice on preventative measures to minimise flood damage as well as on the inspection, conservation and repair of historic buildings after flooding.
- Archaeology and the Historic Environment Record Use the Historic Environment Record Enquiry Form to make a HER enquiry.
- Conservation Areas Designated by local planning authorities as areas of special architectural or historic interest the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.
- Listed Buildings Included on a list of buildings which are considered to be of sufficient historic or architectural interest to merit special protection.
- Heritage Statement Guidance Guidance for what to write in Heritage Statements Para 128 of NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework 2012) states that “Local planning authorities should require an applicant to describe the significance of any heritage assets affected in...
- Frequently Asked Questions - Historic Environment Frequently asked questions including advice for prospective purchasers. Please note: this FAO is a work in progress and is being added to constantly.
- Guidance Notes for Planning Downloadable leaflets on how the planning process works.
- Design Guidance for the Control of Shopfronts & Signs Practical advice, guidance and principles on the design of shop fronts and signs in the Winchester District.
- Design Guidance for the Control of Shopfronts & Signs - Technical Sheet This advice should be read in conjunction with the 'Design Guidance for the control of shopfronts and signs' SPD.
- Local and Family History Archives You can find out about family history and local history at the Hampshire Record Office, situated along Sussex Street in Winchester, close to the railway station
- Winchester Conservation Area Project 2003 The Winchester Conservation Area Project contains a Conservation Area Appraisal, Review and Strategy
- Museums City Museum and Westgate Museum as well as City Space and The Gallery at Winchester Discovery Centre, are now operated and funded by Hampshire Cultural Trust.
- Museums Educational Resources & Visits Winchester Museums offers schools the opportunity to visit or loan objects.