Animal Welfare

We have a dedicated Animal Welfare Officer, if you need to report an animal welfare issue please call 01962 848 350.

To report cases of animal cruelty to the RSPCA telephone: 0300 1234 999

Animals and Fireworks

We are now well into Firework season and many of you may have noticed your domestic pets growing fearful or anxious with the unusual and erratic loud bangs and flashes.

It is best to keep dogs and cats in the house in the evenings at this time of year. There are measures that you can take to ease your pet’s distress and The RSPCA and The Blue Cross offer advice on how to recognise and ease it. 

Of course, horses and ponies can also be affected. The British Horse Society has a useful information on the steps you can take to minimise their stress.

Should your pet show extreme fear of fireworks, you should always consult your vet as there are products available that can help.

For further information, please contact Dave Griffiths, Senior Animal Welfare Officer on extension 2456.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006

Any person that is responsible for an animal has a legal duty to ensure they are meeting all of the needs of that animal as required by good practice. All animals have different needs but all reasonable steps must be taken to provide the most basic, which include the need :

  • for a suitable environment (place to live)
  • for a suitable diet
  • to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
  • to be housed with, or apart from, other animals (if applicable)
  • to be protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease

DEFRA has produced guidance on what is considered good practice for the care of Dogs, Cats and Horses. Links to this guidance can be at the foot of this page.

Failing to provide for the needs of any animal or causing an animal unnecessary suffering is an offence and anyone found guilty of this offence may be banned from owning animals, face a large fine or imprisonment.

The Act also covers other offences relating to tail docking and dog fighting.

Full details of the Animal welfare Act can be found via the link below.

Advice on buying a puppy available to download below is provided by Hampshire County Council Trading Standards team.