Keep up to date with what is going on in Alresford via:
The Facebook page
The Google Calendar of events
Or sign up for a monthly E-newsletter
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the Market Towns Development work or to feature in any of the above.
Since August 2014, a Market Towns Development Officer has been working with New Alresford Town Council and a number of local organisations to create new events and activities, to bring people into Alresford Town Centre and to increase community cohesion. The group has been named Altogether Alresford.
Altogether Alresford activities
• The creation of a Christmas events flyer, detailing the events of local organisations over the festive season. 2000 of these were printed and distributed all around the town.
• A treasure hunt style “Ghost Hunt”, which involved children going on a trail around the town and finding ghosts, which were pictures drawn by local school children.
• The “Face Finding Mission”. Another treasure hunt style activity for both children and adults, with prizes ranging from chocolates and a massage to lunch bags and DVDs.
• An Easter Egg Hunt around the town centre during the Easter holidays
The positive feedback from these events, both from the participants and from the businesses involved, has been overwhelming. Of those businesses taking part in the Ghost Hunt for example, 80% reported seeing an increase in footfall during the period of the activity.
Marketing & promotion achievements
• Distribution of 5000 Alresford Pocket guides to hotels and tourist attractions around the county.
• The creation of a Facebook page to promote events and local shops and businesses. (https://www.facebook.com/AllaboutAlresor/)
• A monthly newsletter informing subscribers of local events and promotions in local businesses as well introducing them to local organisations and interesting facts about Alresford. Sign up here:
New Actions for 2016
In the early part of the year, we will be launching a Welcome Pack for new residents moving into the area. It will comprise a booklet of useful information (numbers, websites, list of local organisations), local interest publications like the pocket guide and flyers and information from different community organisations and businesses. This will be distributed via the website.
We will be commissioning a company to conduct a third party survey of the town centre in order to give us some information on how our town is performing compared to other towns, and to give us a bench mark from which we can measure what impact the market towns development work is having on the town. Check back here in a few weeks to see a link to a survey in which anyone who lives in or close to Alresford can take part.