Exercise Referral Schemes
The Exercise Referral Scheme is a 12 week scheme based at River Park Leisure Centre. The scheme allows doctors and other health professionals to refer people who would benefit from physical activity and improve their health and quality of life.
Who is the Exercise referral Scheme aimed at:
The scheme is for patients who are 16 and over, currently inactive and have one or more of the following:
• Risk of Coronary Heart Disease (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity).
• Existing medical condition that would benefit from being more physically active (e.g. pulmonary, cardiac, mental health).
• Patients who have recently completed cancer treatment
• Patients who have neurological conditions including stroke (can attend a ‘Neuro-Fit’ class)
What’s included in the Exercise Referral Scheme:
• Gym based exercise (personal exercise plan, CV and Resistance)
• Swimming and pool-based classes including Swim 4 Health initiative.
• Neuro-Fit classes
• Cancer Rehabilitation
• Steady and Strong Classes
• Health Walks
What happens in the 12 Week Exercise Referral Scheme:
• The GP or Medical Professional will complete an exercise referral form
• On receipt of the form the patient will be contacted and a consultation will be arranged with the Exercise Referral Instructor.
• Initial Consultation – (pre-screening, goal setting and measurements)
• Induction (booked after the consultation)
• Pay as you go at a subsidised rate during the 12 weeks
• 6 Week Review
• 12 Week Review which involves looking at different options on what to do next.
What is the cost to Patients:
• Patients will receive 3 free consultations (start/mid/end). The costs of attending specific sessions are subsided for the duration of the programme.
• Gym: £3.00
• Swim: £1.50
• Any Leisure Centre Classes: £3.50
• Steady and Strong classes and Neuro-Fit classes £3.00
For more information about the Exercise Referral Scheme please contact Vicky Jones, Active Lifestyles Officer on 01962 848700 or email at email@example.com