Education and Schools
Our Sport and Physical Activity team are available to support schools, pupils and parents achieve physical activity goals.
Breakfast/After School/PPA/Lunch Clubs
- One sport a week - i.e. Football, Rounders, Tri-Golf, Athletics, Squash, Tag-Rugby, FUNdemental Movements, Table Tennis, Tennis, Hockey, Badminton, Cricket, Running, Volleyball, Boccia, New Age Kurling over a 6 week period.
- Sport Specific - any of the activities above over a 6 week period.
- Breakfast Clubs - using your kitchen facilities we can work with pupils to help make healthy nutritional breakfasts and/ or activity session before the school day starts.
- Healthy Active Club - family orientated after school club for parents and children. We have teamed up with FirstBite a not-for-profit community interest company who use healthy, fresh ingredients from FareShare UK. This is surplus food which is good, and in-date but for various reasons such as mislabelling or damaged packaging, would be wasted by supermarkets.
- Each week children take part in group discussions based on the weekly topics such as salt, sugar, fats and food labelling. Children and adults have the chance to prepare and cook food together as well as taking part in some fun sports activities.
Sessions, events and initiatives offered to schools.
- Golden Mile - in partnership with Premier Education Group we are providing schools with the opportunity for pupils to take part in regular walking during school time. Over 15 schools in the district are now actively delivering the this initiative where pupils walk, jog or run around a set route within the safety of their school grounds, encouraging regular physical activity habits throughout the school year. Once signed up, schools are able to use online resources from the Golden Mile website to record data and pupil achievement as well as setting new challenges. This would normally cost £90.00 per class however our Sport & Physical Activity team have secured funding to provide the resources to you free of charge. To find out more visit www.golden-mile.org/ or contact Calum Drummond on: 01962 848 329 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mum’s Cycling - We have trailed this at a few schools this year with an aim to increase female cycling. Mum’s will have the opportunity to bring their bike to the school gates and take part in a ride around the local area led by a qualified member of staff.
- Parent’s Couch 2 5k (beginners running groups) - We have a number ‘Couch 2 5k’ sessions taking place within the district however we are now taking this to school gates and offering it to parents. This is a 10 week programme to get beginner runners at a level to be able to comfortably run/jog 5k.
Universities - Get Active
We are working in partnership with the University of Winchester to engage with the University’s staff and students to increase participation in sport. The scheme offers a range of sporting sessions in a fun, friendly and relaxed environment on a weekly basis. The regular sessions will be free for those attending to encourage increased participation, however, special one-off activies may be charged to cover coaches/facility hire etc.
Student/staff passes must be shown on arrival at each activity.
Current 2017 Timetable
1pm - 1.45pm
12pm - 1pm
5pm - 8pm
5.30pm - 6.30pm
5.15pm - 6.45pm
1pm - 2pm
6pm - 7pm
For more information and to get involved with the GetActive Scheme please email Phillip.Malatesta@Winchester.ac.uk
Events for Schools
- Tri-Golf - We will be organising our annual Tri-Golf event in April/May 2019 – if you would like to attend the festival you will need to take part in the 6 week sessions which can be delivered within school time or after school. The winners will then be invited to attend the Hampshire School Games.