Information for residents and businesses on Brexit

This page helps residents and businesses to find useful information about Brexit and what it could mean for you if you live or work in the Winchester district.

  • A31 Winchester to Alresford

    Preparatory planning works are taking place on a 5km stretch of the A31 dual carriageway between Winchester and Alresford.

    This is to provide an area that may be needed for holding freight traffic waiting to use Portsmouth International Port for cross-channel services to France or Spain in the event the UK exits the EU without a deal.

    This is a critical element of the Hampshire Local Resilience Forum's (LRF) contingency plan, complementing ongoing work at Tipner West in Portsmouth.

    More information on the scheme is available on the Hampshire County Council website.

    To view a map of the area affected click here (pdf, 6.5mb)


  • The EU Settlement Scheme

    If you are a non-UK European Union citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to continue living in the UK through the EU Settlement Scheme.

    In the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal, the EU Settlement Scheme will continue. EU citizens who are resident in the UK before the UK leaves the EU will continue to be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, until at least 31 December 2020.

    For EU citizens arriving after the UK’s exit from the EU, transitional immigration arrangements will be put in place. EU citizens wishing to stay in the UK for up to three months will be able to continue to come to the UK to visit, work and study by using a passport or national identity card as now. They will not need to apply for any immigration status. EU citizens arriving in the UK after the UK leaves the EU who wish to stay in the UK for more than three months will need to apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain. 

    To find more about the EU settlement scheme and to find out more about European Temporary Leave to Remain information there are a number of links below.

  • Guidance for UK nationals living in the EU

    Find out further information on the rights and status of UK nationals living in the European Union, European Economic Area (EEA) and European Free Trade Area (EFTA), and Switzerland by reading the government’s advice for UK nationals


Further information

Visit the Government webpages for further information about the EU Exit.

You can also sign up for Government email alerts on Brexit.

The Government has also published guidance on how to prepare if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.