Housing help - COVID-19

Housing advice

  • What money and benefit advice can I access?

    We know that you may be worried about how you'll pay your rent if you are unwell, are self-isolating or your job situation changes. We want to reassure our tenants that we are here to help. If you're worried about paying your rent, please get in touch.

    • Email: housingincome@winchester.gov.uk
    • Send a message: via your Mycouncilhouse account
    • Telephone:
      • Rent Accounts team: 01962 848 205
      • Tenancy Sustainment team: 01962 848 918

    We're here to provide help and advice.

  • What if I can’t work – do I qualify for Statutory Sick Pay and what happens if I don't?

    Please access the government website for the most up to date information on statutory sick pay

    If you’re not entitled to SSP you may be able to claim New Style Employment and Support Allowance to find out more visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance-detailed-guide#the-new-style-esa-process-what-to-expect

  • What if I’m self-employed and can’t work?

    HM Revenues & Customs (HMRC) have set up a phone helpline to support businesses and self-employed people concerned about not being able to pay their tax due to COVID-19. The dedicated coronavirus HMRC helpline for self-employed people is 0800 0159 559.

    If you are self-employed you are eligible to claim Universal Credit. You can apply for Universal Credit here. 

    You may be eligible to apply for an advance payment up front. Please note that any advance will need to be repaid by instalments out of any entitlement, so will reduce your payments.

    Find out more on the government website.

  • What if I’m on Universal Credit and need to self-isolate?

    If you’re already claiming Universal Credit let your work coach know as soon as possible, particularly if you can’t attend a jobcentre appointment. If you don’t let them know before you miss an appointment, you could be sanctioned. To do this, use your online journal or call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

    Most face to face appointments have now been made into a telephone appointment instead, so please make sure you mobile is on and charged. All health reassessment appointments have been suspended for three months. If you are due to attend a jobcentre appointment, but can’t because you are self-isolating or unwell, special arrangements will be put in place and appointments rescheduled. Mandatory work search and work availability will also be
    removed to account for a period of sickness.

    If your income reduces because you are unwell, have to self-isolate, or are caring for someone in your household who is affected, your Universal Credit should change to take this into account. The Minimum Income Floor (which applies to the self-employed) will also be relaxed for those affected by COVID-19.

    Find out more on the government website.

  • What additional support is being provided to extra care and sheltered housing?

    The sheltered housing team are making frequent personal contact with all extra care and sheltered housing residents to highlight any individual needs to ensure appropriate help and support is provided where required.

    We are asking all visitors to extra care schemes to wear face masks and use the hand sanitising facilities when visiting.

    Communal lounges and guest rooms at both extra care schemes and sheltered sites are currently closed with no activities taking place.

    Residents can contact the team directly by emailing shelteredhousing@winchester.gov.uk or by calling 01962 855 335  

  • What if my council property needs repairs or improvement?

    A full repair service has resumed to report a repair call 01962 848 400 (during office hours) and 01962 865 405 for out-of-hours emergencies only.

    Social distancing guidelines still apply during repairs which means you need to keep at least two metres from a tradesperson at all times. In addition trades staff will clean the working area thoroughly before leaving your home..

  • What additional support is being provided to people who are homeless or rough sleepers?

    For all information about rough sleeping in the district visit here