Council Tax - Reduction for Disabilities Application

If you, as the Council Tax payer, or someone you live with is disabled and your home has certain features which are required to meet the needs of the disbaled person, your council tax bill may be reduced. A person will be classed as disabled if they are substantially or permanently disabled (whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise).

All properties in Winchester City Council have been given a valuation band between A and H. If you qualify for a reduction, we will treat your property as if it is in the valuation band immediately below the one shown in the valuation list. For example, if your home is in Band D, you will pay council tax at Band C. If your home is in Band A, you can still receive a proportional reduction.

The disabled person must live in the property and can be an adult or a child. The disabled person must require one of the following as either essential or of major importance to their well-being:

- A room which is not a bathroom, a kitchen or a lavatory; or
- A second kitchen or second bathroom required for their needs; or
- Sufficient floor space as they need to use their wheelchair around the home

To apply for reduction for disabilities you must be named on the council tax bill