A Digital Winchester District
A Digital Winchester District
Access to high quality digital services plays a growing and critical role in the economic health and resilience of the District. With the COVID-19 pandemic the ability to embrace digital technology has become even more vital. With this in mind Winchester City Council is keen to understand the changing digital needs of residents, employers, innovators and investors.
This will be achieved by exploring:
- What a digital Winchester means for the different communities of Winchester district, including residents, businesses and community groups, organisations, students.
- The benefits of 5G to the city and district.
- The experience of digital connectivity during COVID-19.
The council invited you to take part in this work and there were a number of different ways that you could have gotten involved, including a call for evidence, online survey and online debate panel.
The Council has set out four challenges it is seeking to answer through this work. They are:
The challenges are:
- What are the gaps in digital provision and how can they be solved?
- What are the barriers to digital connectivity?
- What infrastructure provision will achieve greatest impact and benefit?
- What are the varying level of experience of broadband and mobile services across the district
- Do our various communities have equal access to broadband and mobile services?
- What new business and social opportunities can be achieved through fast reliable broadband and 5G technologies?
- How are opportunities constrained? What will help overcome these constraints?
- What are people trying to achieve digitally?
4. Future potential
- What technology and digital achievement could benefit the local economy and communities in the future and which are not currently available within the district?
- How would solutions which are not currently available aid COVID-19 recovery?
- What considerations should be taken in order to future proof provision?
Call for evidence
The Digital Winchester District call for evidence is now closed.
A Digital Winchester Survey
In order to understand the changing digital needs of residents, businesses, organisations, employers, innovators and investors we asked the public to complete a short survey. The results will be used to inform council policies and work with partners.
The Digital Winchester District survey is now closed.
The online event had expert speakers and local witnesses debating the key challenges outlined.
Winchester City Council held the digital debate on Tuesday 23 November at 5pm to help shape the future of the digital economy.
During the 90 minute session attendees looked at four challenges that have been identified as tools to understanding the digital needs of those who live and work in the Winchester District: digital infrastructure, access, opportunity, and future potential.
A range of key decision makers and influencers joined the debate, providing them the opportunity to hear first -hand where the issues, challenges and opportunities are within the Winchester district.
The debate was held online, to watch the Digital Debate here: https://youtu.be/7oTdeX3gOmY
If you are interested in finding out more about this please contact the Economy team here.
The outcome will result with a series of findings that answer the challenges listed above.
Digital Winchester Debate