Second Adult Rebate

You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate (2AR) if you have non-dependants living with you who are on a low income.

  • Who can claim

    If you are excluded from receiving a 25% Single Person Discount on your Council Tax bill due to non-dependants living in your household, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate.

    To qualify for a Second Adult Rebate the second adult(s) (non-dependants) must be:

    • Aged 18 or over
    • Not liable to pay rent to you and
    • Not jointly liable to pay Council Tax
  • How do I claim
    1. Obtain an application form from the Benefits Section or download a form from the link below
    2. Provide proof of your non-dependant's income. NB If you have more than one non-dependant, you must provide proof of income for all of them.
    3. Provide proof of your National Insurance Number, or two forms of identification for yourself.
    4. Complete the online form.

    You must still pay your Council Tax while you are waiting for a claim for Council Tax Reduction or Second Adult Rebate to be processed

  • Entitlement
    Non-Dependant Income % of Council Tax Bill that will be rebated
    Second Adult on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Pension Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) 25%
    Second Adult gross income less than £187 15%
    Second Adult gross income £187 - £242.99 7.5%

    If the second adults are on Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Pension Credit and the liable person is a full time student 100% of the Council Tax bill will be rebated.

    In some circumstances a person may be entitled to both Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate. In these cases, the Benefit Section will award the higher of the two awards.