Second Adult Rebate
You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate (2AR) if you have non-dependants living with you who are on a low income.
Who can claim
If you are excluded from receiving a 25% Single Person Discount on your Council Tax bill due to non-dependants living in your household, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate.
To qualify for a Second Adult Rebate the second adult(s) (non-dependants) must be:
- Aged 18 or over
- Not liable to pay rent to you and
- Not jointly liable to pay Council Tax
How do I claim
- Obtain an application form from the Benefits Section or download a form from the link below
- Provide proof of your non-dependant's income. NB If you have more than one non-dependant, you must provide proof of income for all of them.
- Provide proof of your National Insurance Number, or two forms of identification for yourself.
- Complete the online form.
You must still pay your Council Tax while you are waiting for a claim for Council Tax Reduction or Second Adult Rebate to be processed
Non-Dependant Income % of Council Tax Bill that will be rebated Second Adult on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Pension Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) 25% Second Adult gross income less than £187 15% Second Adult gross income £187 - £242.99 7.5%
If the second adults are on Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Pension Credit and the liable person is a full time student 100% of the Council Tax bill will be rebated.
In some circumstances a person may be entitled to both Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate. In these cases, the Benefit Section will award the higher of the two awards.