Change of Circumstances

If your circumstances change it may affect the amount of benefit you get. You must tell us about any changes straightaway.

Below is a list of examples to help you know what change of circumstances could affect your benefit. However, this list does not cover every change that could affect your benefit so you must inform us of every change that happens to you or anyone in your household. Failure to notify us could mean that you are overpaid benefit and this can be recovered from you.

  • Some of the changes that could affect your benefit
    • You move house
    • Someone else moves in to or out of your house, including children
    • You change job
    • You stop or start work
    • You stop receiving Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance (you must not assume the Department for Work and Pensions will tell us)
    • Your rent increases or decreases
    • Your household income changes
    • Your household capital or savings change
    • You start or stop receiving a new allowance such as Disability Living Allowance
    • You start to receive a private pension
    • You start or stop receiving Tax Credits
    • Someone in your household becomes a student, leaves school or gets a job
    • You have a baby
    • Anything you have told us about changes
  • How to tell us
    • Online - Change of Circumstances form
    • Email -
    • Telephone - 01962 848539 Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
    • Fax - 01962 848200
    • Write - Benefits Section, City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester, Hants SO23 9LJ
    • Visit - City Offices Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm (A private interview room is available by appointment)