Getting involved and the Community Planning Weekend (24 and 25 March)
Information on how you can get involved in the Central Winchester Regeneration project to formulate a supplementary planning document is available on the JTP website at the following web address:
The area known as Silver Hill covers an area of approximately 2.3 hectares of central Winchester. It includes the bus station, Friarsgate medical centre, Kings Walk and the Friarsgate car park amongst other elements.
Since the end of the 1990s the Council has been seeking the comprehensive redevelopment of this area to improve the quality of retail, residential and public space in the Silver Hill area.
Central Winchester Regeneration - Phase 1 - SPD
The first stage of the Central Winchester Regeneration project is to develop a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) to act as a new planning brief for the area of Silver Hill and it's environs. The SPD will have the benefit of a formal status in the local planning system. An Informal Policy Group (IPG) has been established to develop the SPD which will then be considered by Cabinet for adoption.
The SPD will supplement policies the policies in the Local Plan and will set out the type and layout of land uses that could be built on the site and will help to ensure that the development is fit for the future and will rejuvenate such a prominent part of the City.
The IPG has commissioned JTP an award-winning ‘placemaking’ practice of architects and masterplanners to work with the Council to formulate the SPD. This process will include public and stakeholder engagement and commissioning of studies and assessments to inform the development of the SPD. It is intended to complete this work by the end of 2017.
Plans for replacing the St Clement’s surgery in nearby Upper Brook Street, formerly part of the Silver Hill development, are proceeding separately.
- Link to the Central Winchester Regeneration Main Webpage for the project, with information on how you can get involved.
- Further information on the SPD is available via this link to the Central Winchester SPD webpage.
- Further information on the Central Winchester Regeneration Informal Policy Group (IPG) is available via this link.
- Central Winchester Regeneration – production of SPD On this page you can find the latest information on the production of the Central Winchester Regeneration Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)
- The Winchester Silver Hill Independent Review This section contains the Winchester Silver Hill Independent Review by Claer Lloyd-Jones LLB Solicitor, plus the report of the council's Chief Executive Simon Eden.
- Silver Hill - gallery of images as it is now Images illustrating how Silver Hill looks now.
- Original consented scheme 2009
- How to get involved in the Central Winchester Regeneration Project How to get involved and find more information on the Community Planning Weekend (24 and 25 March)