River Park Leisure Centre is now more than 40 years old and its ability to meet the needs of a growing population in Winchester is limited. The City Council has looked at various options for replacing or refurbishing it and has commissioned work from external consultants to test the various options.
In September 2015, having looked at the cost and practicality of these various options, the Council agreed that the preferred option, if it is affordable and deliverable, would be a new sports and leisure centre built at Bar End. The Council are working closely with the University of Winchester, the Pinder Trust and Hampshire County Council to deliver a new sports and leisure centre.
The Council agreed in November 2016 to purchase the Garrison Ground at Bar End. This will secure the future of the Garrison Ground for community sports and leisure use and means that part of the site can be evaluated as an option for the location of the city's new sports and leisure centre.
Once the location of the centre has been evaluated and agreed, the next phase of the project is to develop concept designs with the facility mix agreed by Cabinet and Council in July 2016. The facility mix agreed was a 50m swimming pool, 12 court sports hall, four squash courts, a fitness gym with studios, a hydrotherapy pool and other state-of-the-art facilities.
The concept designs will be developed in consultation with the sporting community, leisure centre users, local residents and businesses and the general public.
Alongside the development of concept designs a formal business case will be prepared that assesses the crucial issue of funding alongside elements such as land ownership, transport and commissioning building designs.
The current estimates from consultants indicate that a new sports and leisure centre at Bar End would cost in the region of £30 - £35 million. It would take approximately three years to design and build.
In March 2016 verification plans for the proposed sports and leisure centre were released to show the possible lay out. The location of the centre within Bar End is yet to be confirmed.
- Conceptual Overview Site Layout March 2016
- Conceptual Site Layout March 2016
- Conceptual Floor Plans March 2016
- Conceptual Cutaways March 2016
If you would like further information about the project then please email your enquiry to email@example.com
- Consultation Consultation with existing users of River Park Leisure Centre and residents living close to the proposed Bar End site.
- FAQs A list of frequently asked questions about the leisure centre project.
- Feasibility Core documents & technical studies relating to the leisure centre project.
- Press Releases Press releases on the leisure centre project.
- Timeline and Key Decisions What stage have we reached? Why are we considering a replacement leisure centre? How have the Council decided what to do so far?