River Park Leisure Centre is now more than 40 years old and its ability to meet the needs of a growing population in Winchester is limited. The City Council has looked at various options for replacing or refurbishing it and has commissioned work from external consultants to test the various options.
In September 2015, having looked at the cost and practicality of these various options, the Council agreed that the preferred option, if it is affordable and deliverable, would be a new leisure centre built at Bar End. This centre would be located between the existing sports stadium and the M3, on an area of land owned by the City Council, Hampshire County Council and the University of Winchester.
The current estimates from consultants indicate that a new leisure centre at Bar End would cost in the region of £30 - £35 million. It would take approximately three years to design and build.
The current verification plans for the proposed leisure centre show the possible lay out:
- Conceptual Overview Site Layout March 2016
- Conceptual Site Layout March 2016
- Conceptual Floor Plans March 2016
- Conceptual Cutaways March 2016
The next phase of the project is to develop concept designs with the facility mix agreed by Cabinet and Council in July 2016, proposed at Bar End in Winchester, should have a 50m swimming pool, 12 court sports hall, four squash courts, a fitness gym with studios, a hydrotherapy pool and other state-of-the-art facilities. The concept designs will be developed in consultation with the sporting community, leisure centre users, local residents and businesses and the general public.
Alongside the development of concept designs a formal business case will be prepared that assesses the crucial issue of funding alongside elements such as land ownership, transport and commissioning building designs.
If you would like further information about the project then please email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consultation Consultation with existing users of River Park Leisure Centre and residents living close to the proposed Bar End site.
- FAQs A list of frequently asked questions about the leisure centre project.
- Feasibility Core documents & technical studies relating to the leisure centre project.
- Press Releases Press releases on the leisure centre project.
- Timeline and Key Decisions What stage have we reached? Why are we considering a replacement leisure centre? How have the Council decided what to do so far?