How to Appeal

How to challenge the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

If you disagree with the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) write to Winchester City Council within 14 days of the date of issue of the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) giving your reasons or explanation why you feel that the PCN should be cancelled. If you are a vehicle owner and have received a Notice to Owner (NTO) document and feel you have grounds to make representations under the grounds listed on the NTO, you can submit your representations in response to the NTO in writing.

If you have supporting documents you wish to be considered with your challenge, for example a scan of a ticket/permit, or other document or photograph, you can attach this to your email or upload your document using the online challenge form. If sending your challenge by post, we recommend you send a copy in case the original document is lost, or if it is a pay and display ticket, take a copy for you to keep.

Challenges must be made in writing and can be submitted in the following ways:

Within your challenge letter please ensure that you supply:

  • the relevant ten character Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) number e.g. WR51235123 or YW51235123) and
  • your name and address so that we can reply to you.

If your challenge is received within 14 days of the date of issue of the PCN and if your challenge is subsequently rejected following our consideration, you will be given 14 days from the date of our letter of rejection to pay the discounted PCN rate. This letter will also explain how you may further challenge the PCN by way of the statutory appeals process.

If you fail to ensure that any challenge is received within 14 days from the date of issue of the PCN, then the full PCN amount may be payable, upon any rejection.

If we accept your reasons for challenging or appealing against the PCN, we will cancel the PCN. You will receive a letter or email confirming this action.