Broadband boost in Bramdean and Bighton
Press Release: 10/02/2015
Rural areas on the eastern side of the Winchester District, including Bramdean and Bighton, will be able to benefit from improved internet speeds from September 2015.
Approximately 860 premises in the Winchester District will be able to switch over to superfast broadband thanks to a £1.2m commitment from an Innovation Fund set up by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) that was awarded to support a trial in Hampshire.
A mixture of tailored solutions including fibre-to-the-street cabinets (FTTC), fibre connected directly to premises (FTTP) and fixed wireless technology will be delivered by Call Flow.
Cllr Robert Humby, Leader of Winchester City Council and Hampshire County Councillor for Bishop’s Waltham, said:
Our planning officers are working closely with Hampshire County Council and the South Downs National Park Authority to facilitate the installation of Broadband whilst balancing the complex environmental considerations.
We know that the issue of rural Broadband is a difficult one to solve and we recognise that we have a long way to go. We hope that by working in partnership with our colleagues at Hampshire County Council we can make steps towards achieving faster internet speeds for businesses and residents in our smaller rural communities. The county has already seen over 31,500 premises switch over. By the end of the project 95% of businesses in Hampshire will have been enabled to access services at a speed of at least 24bps. Both authorities are also working on solutions for the remaining 5%.
Not all premises in these areas will be able to reach superfast speeds due to distance from the properties to the installed infrastructure. To see if your home or business is covered by the Innovation Fund click here.
Rural areas like Bramdean and Bighton are not covered by the commercial roll-out of superfast broadband, as they are expensive to reach and not commercially viable.
To find out when Superfast Broadband is coming to your area or to join the campaign visit: www.hampshiresuperfastbroadband.com.